We are excited to know that you are exploring the possibility of going Greek. The Alpha Phi Zeta Chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha offers the complete fraternal experience. However, it doesn’t end there. Joining Lambda Chi Alpha is an experience that lasts a lifetime, opening doors for you in your future, both at University of Alabama and beyond.
Lambda Chi Alpha boasts one of the more complete resumes among all fraternities, and with over 275,000 initiated members, it is the third largest general men’s fraternity. Whether you are interested in academics, athletics, leadership or social development, Lambda Chi Alpha can help you achieve your goals.
What Is Fraternity?
Fraternity is a word for brotherhood. There are many attributes fraternities can have depending on their structure and purpose; Each having a degree of secrecy, its own respective initiation or ceremony marking admission, formal codes of behavior, and disciplinary procedures. The only way to truely experience fraternity is to rush and join!
Lambda Chi Alpha is belonging.
When you need someone to talk to, you will always find a brother who is genuinely interested and who really cares about what happens to you. You will find a brother who understands that you are only human and are seeking to improve yourself in many ways. You will find a brother who offers to help before you have a chance to ask.
Lambda Chi Alpha is brotherhood.
In a very real sense, the Fraternity creates a family relationship among its members. It aims to bring together a group of young men who will be congenial, loyal, and helpful to one another during some of the best years of their lives-the college years. Thus Lambda Chi Alpha offers its members the nearest possible equivalent to home that can be found on the college campus, and these close ties often bind men in friendships for life.
Lambda Chi Alpha is equality.
Lambda Chi Alpha was the first fraternity to abolish pledges when associate membership replaced pledging in 1972. Since that time, associate members have had full and equal rights in the chapter, including voting privileges and the ability to hold office, attend all meetings and functions, and wear the letters and regalia of the Fraternity. The Fraternity replaced pledge education with fraternity education, which dictates ongoing education for all members throughout their university years. New members are integrated immediately into the chapter. A big brother is assigned to each new member, and he teaches the essentials of chapter operations to the new member. Each week throughout the school year an educational session is held for all members. These educational sessions are either internal (history, ritualism, risk management, goal setting, recruitment skills, etc.) or external (study skills, current topics, alcoholism, date rape, CPR, etc.).
The Miracle of Fraternity.
Within the span of four years, Lambda Chi Alpha provides the opportunity to:
- Develop lifelong friendships
- Engage in responsibilities managing and governing chapter affairs
- Have a voice at the General Fraternity
- Have the chance to develop your leadership talents
- Receive the help needed to expand your mind establish a favorable atmosphere for academic achievement
- Gain self-confidence, a sharpened sense of human relations, and a mature sense of justice.
Undoubtedly, you have expectations of Lambda Chi Alpha.
- You expect Lambda Chi Alpha to be a source of good times, learning experiences, and lifelong friendships.
- You also expect Lambda Chi Alpha to help you realize your goals in college and beyond. Through a stimulating environment, you expect to advance as a student, leader, and member of society. This is possible through the unique structure of the Fraternity and the moral support of your brothers.
- You also expect positive social opportunities that will be enhanced through close friends and good fellowship.
- You expect your time with Lambda Chi Alpha to be rewarding and worthwhile.
- Overall, you expect Lambda Chi Alpha to be a great fraternity.